Monday, July 13, 2009

Novels: Good, Movies: Better

I think that novel reading is an important part of society because, just like hundreds of years of storytelling, it is a great way to expand peoples horizons, convey messages, and entertain. Novels are crucial ways to make readers stop and think about their own lives and wrongs that they have committed, and hopefully inspire them to change. However, I don't think that books are the only way to do this. A series of moving pictures put with music and the right artistic eye (a.k.a. - movies) could more significantly make people take long hard looks at themselves. Obviously it takes a novel or piece of literature to create a movie, but to answer the question as to whether or not I see value in reading novels - would be yes, but even more value in watching movies. Any piece of literature can make a person stop and think, but it truly takes a strong piece of literature to move an entire society to change, and on top of that, a great cinematic piece could do so with even more intensity. Personally, there have been one or two novels that have made me think about my own life and society, such as The Power of One or The Kite Runner, but countless movies that have done the same with greater magnitude. Also, the movies stay with me longer and seem to touch the lives of many more people than books ever can simply because of the convenience of sitting down for a couple of hours to watch a film, as opposed to spending a few days reading a book. All in all, novels are unarguably vital to society and can change the way people think (especially in the past, before movies came about), but for me, film is a stronger format for doing the same thing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Joe--Say it ain't so!!!-- I love movies--love the Coen brothers best--but movies cannot tell the thoughts of a character (unless you have voiceover) and movies rush through where a novel aids the reader into delving deep into the storyline. Okay--Bridges of Madison County--I won't argue that it was written well, but what was so great are the inner thoughts--the inner conflict--the female character has between staying in her loveless marriage and with her children or doing something truly selfish and running away with the photographer. The movie was good, but it could not capture the inner turmoil inside the lead female character--the sacrifice she makes to keep the family intact. Even 5 hours of Jane Eyre doesn't get all that is in the book. Movies Good--love 'em--but Novels Own the Universe!!! I have spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe i just wanted to say that i completely agree with you. I am a big fan of movies myself and i seem to find that I have a greater impact from watching a movie than I do from reading a book. I am a visual type of person and i think this is why i find movies to be beneficial. I think that this is why some people like you or I may have a deeper connection after watching a movie rather than reading a book. I also believe that you were right in saying movies on a greater scale have moved society. Great connection between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While i believe that movies can indeed do a great deal enlighten and provoke thoughts, with a novel there is more room for the readers imagination. When there is more room left for the intended audience to imagine in detail what is going on it gives them a stronger connection with it because they more easily see themselves in the story. With some movies they try to show to much details where little is left to the audience to imagine and place themselves within the relm of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps! I meant to say that I won't argue that Bridges of M. Co. was _not_ written well.

    ReplyDelete